Re: Installing the whole set of scientific packages

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:47:38AM -0600, Carlo Segre wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, [utf-8] Damián Viano wrote:
> >
> >>	It would also be nice since is quite a specific task and one would be
> >>prompted during d-i which would pretty much make Debian science-ready
> >>out of the box.
> >
> >Are you sure that the tasksel maintainer is happy to add and change
> >the several scientific packages all the time?  This would be a moving
> >target and letting tasksel install meta packages makes it quite stable
> >from the tasksel maintainer point of view (und thus more acceptable).
> >

> I like this approach because it allows the meta-packages to have finer
> granularity than "science".  I can imagine the physicist who might not be
> interested in bioperl, for example...

This seems to be preferred so far, so let's diagram which packages
should be created:

- debian-science
	- debian-science-bio
	- debian-science-math
	- debian-science-physics
	- debian-science-chem

What do others think? Am I missing something? Should we s/science// from
the second level packages? s/debian// ? Wouldn't such classification
make packages like scipy hard to include? Should TeX packages be
included in any category, which? (keep in mind that tex have his own
section, so creating another category/meta-package would be redundant if
you ask me)

--
Damián Viano(Des)              ¯ ¯ - _           _ - ¯ ¯
GPG: 0x6EB95A6F                 Debian ¯-_GNU_-¯ Linux