Re: Packaging and Maintaining

Chris,

On 8 December 2005 at 10:40, Christopher David Desjardins wrote:
| Hi-
| I am just starting to learn how to create and maintain debian packages.
| I would like to help in package up some of these programs that we've
| been discussing that might need some one to package them.  I would be
| especially interesting in package genetics software, QGIS, or R.  Any
| suggestions for packages that need to be maintained in particular would
| be a great starting spot for me and would give me something to practice
| on.

The pkg-bioc project on Alioth would be a starting point. Packaging CRAN and
BioC is easy and standardised, hence our aim of fully automating it. If you
know Perl, you could dive right in, but it may help to download some R / CRAN
packages first to see the structure, try debianising a local package or two
and then play with the script.  You need to get yourself an alioth id so that
I can add you to the project.

Andreas' URL to the Debian Med project also had a lot of bio/generics
pointers.

Hope this helps, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'