Re: Debian based live chemoinformatics CD?

On Saturday 19 November 2005 15:35, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:58:17PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > | the current eclipse-in-main is built with GCJ, isn't it?
> >
> > Indeed --- looks like we can tick that one off.  But recall that the
> > thread started with Egon wondering about JChemPaint and Jmol [ and Egon
> > said in private mail that these need Swing :-/ ], and that I had said
> > that I'd like to add JGR [ which needs Sun's 1.5 :-/ ].
>
> Actually, I am mostly interested in those.  I don't know much about
> Java, but I think I read that Swing support is coming along as well,
> maybe as some GTK flavor.

Yes, there are rather informative blogs around at [1]. After browsing a bit,
downloading the latest Classpath from sid, and tried a few VMs.

It actually did not go that bad, but was not able to fire up the full GUI.

Now, the proper way to proceed would be to identify the problems, and report
those to the Classpath team (95% coverage of the full 1.4 API is a marvelous
job!)

However, 1. I'm finishing up my PhD, 2. people are working on Eclipse based
versions of Jmol and JChemPaint...

But if people want to explore these issues, I will support that with as many
free hours as possible...

OK, but my best guess is that by next May/June we can have a fullblown
chemoinformatics CD. The HOWTO's are of good quality, and working out a
private CD right now based on KNOPPIX which will feature Sun's JVM for now.
Hence the private CD part :(

Egon

--
e.willighagen@science.ru.nl
PhD student on Molecular Representation in Chemometrics