Re: debian and astronomy (was: Re: first steps (pcfitsio, pyraf and iraf))

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:40:35PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>
> > Lastly, Florian Ernst kindly sponsored my sextractor package last
> > week; it is now waiting in the new queue.  ds9 is already available in
> > Debian (though it won't be for much longer if upstream doesn't provide
> > unobfuscated source in their v4 release).
>
> Wow.  Not just poorly written code, actively obfuscated code?  Why on
> earth would they have ever done that?  Have you got an example of such
> code?
It is ./sla/ in ds9-4 (presently beta).  Called something else in
earlier releases.  The problem, I think, is that slalib ("positional
astronomy library") has a fortran version, and a C version (not just a
wrapper).  This is the C version (yay!); I don't know where to obtain
the C version (unobfuscated), otherwise I would have dropped it into
./sla/ and ran with it..  I don't think the CfA folks are the ones
that performed the obfuscation .. but they haven't been in any big
rush to fix it either :/

--
Clear skies,
Justin