how to count % color coverage?

ciao,
may be someone here knows if exist a tool (imagemagick?) that can count
how mutch black or white exist in a photo/image
The problem is:
I have a photo with spots with different size.
I want to know how much this spost fill the photo surface (in %)
and I want to do it via script (no human interaction, if possible)
Do you know something usefull?
Now I do it whit gimp, but I think is overkill for such things...
thank you.

(better were if I could count how much (%) of each color [.gif, indexed]
is present in the photo, but I can resolve this in other way...)

--
Paolo Pedaletti