Re: The problem with gnuplot

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:

> Someone (sorry for not knowing who) asked, if I'm not much mistaken,
> about what do people complain about gnuplot, apart from it's GUI. Well,
> I think gnuplot's greatest problem is it's license. Why? It complies
> with the FSF's guides, OK, but I think it's annoying to have to patch
> the sources every time you want to improve it. If it would be GPLed, I'm
> sure more people would like to contribute with it.

And related to this is the fact that libreadline can't be incorporated --
the single most annoying thing, IMNSHO.

Mind you, there are switches in ./configure that work (and are breaking
people's copyrights if turned on), and there is rlwrap, but the former
breaks when you try to tab complete a filename in single quotes (IIRC; as
filenames need to be in gnuplot), and the latter breaks help and other
things that need unbuffered terminal input.  And I don't think the former
saves a command line history in a history file, which readline can do (and
rlwrap can do buggily).

--
TimC
Special Relativity: The person in the other queue thinks yours is