Re: ROOT and Debian

On 8/14/05, Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk> wrote:

> To me, it's not entirely clear just what licence cover use of Minuit.
> As you know, CERNLIB has in the past re-licensed software rather
> brutally.  Checking with Ian McLaren is probably not a bad idea.  If you
> get a reply, please forward that to me and perhaps Fons too.

Sure, will do.

> The buildd point is _very_ attractive to ROOT.
>
> This reminds me of another issue concerning ROOT.   Currently, I've only
> tested the ROOT packaging scripts on Debian GNU/Linux on a i386 chip.
> I've previously ported ROOT to Debian GNU/Hurd, but I haven't tried it
> in a while.   However, ROOT build on many a platforms, including ia64,
> Sparc, Alpha, and so on.  However, it is assumed that if you are
> building for say a Sparc chip, you're using Solaris, and so forth.  It'd
> be interesting to see what chips ROOT build on, assuming the normal
> `linux' configuration.  If anyone out there's using some `port' other
> than GNU/Linux on i386, of Debian, could you please give it a whirl to
> see if it works?  Thanks.

For what it's worth, I compiled ROOT on my iBook (powerpc chip)
running Debian a while back.  I believe this was version 3.04/02.  I
had to pass the "linuxppcegcs" argument as the architecture to
./configure.  As far as I was able to tell everything worked, and I
used ROOT fairly often on that machine.  Since my laptop hard drive
died (for the second time!) a couple months ago, I am no longer able
to test things on powerpc Linux, though.

best regards,