Re: The problem with gnuplot

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Authors of a new project should have a clause in their licence that
> all additions fall under their ownership, but that it does not
> otherwise affect the rights of the additions author to that code
> outside of the project.

This is a rather complicated subject, but the ideal situtation is to
do assignment or rights to the primary copyright holder or a
foundation like the FSF to relicense the work under another Free
Software license.

Most projects don't do due diligence with the contributions that they
do accept, and this leads to huge problems if they ever need to do
anything requiring consent of other copyright holders.

[For example, I expect some of the projects that currently are
licensed under GPL v 2 only to have some issues if they ever decide to
go to GPL v 3 precisely because of this case.]

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html for more details

Don Armstrong

--
Our days are precious, but we gladly see them going
If in their place we find a thing more precious growing