crystal structure analysis applications (was: Welcome to Debian Science!)

Am Samstag, den 13.08.2005, 09:12 +0200 schrieb Egon Willighagen:
> On Friday 12 August 2005 23:38, boris@macbeth.rhoen.de wrote:
> > >   I am a materials physicist who uses synchrotron radiation for
> > > structural studies.
> >
> > I am also interested to see some crystal structure analysis program(s) in
> > debian.
>
> There's a Jmol deb package available (needs a sponsor) [1],

JFTR: It needs to be updated and some circular dependencies (cdk depends
on Jmol's JmolAPIS.jar, JmolIO.jar and Jmol depends on cdk jars) need to
be solved. So probably Jmol needs to be split into 2 source packages or
changed by upstream, before we seriously think about a spnsor.

> which offers some
> basic crystal structure rendering and analysis [2]. GCrystal [1,3] is
> mentioned too, but I have no experience with that one.

GNOME Crytsal can only handle the projects own MIME/file type
application/x-gcrystal so it is probably not applicable for the
questioned purpose.

subject adjusted
Regards, Daniel