Re: gnuplot

On 10 August 2005 at 07:03, Andre Lehovich wrote:
| I have two objections to Gnuplot.  First, it doesn't include a real programming
| language.  This means the various types of data manipulation needed to set up
| most plots have to be done by an external program.  Second, when gnuplot
| doesn't produce exactly what you want, it is difficult or impossible to make
| significant changes to the plot.
|
| (Also worth noting is that gnuplot's barely-DFSG license has caused problems
| for Debian in the past. See #100612)
|
| For non-interactive applications (e.g. web) one can use R.  Note that R's PNG
| and JPEG devices rely on having an X server present.  I've had success with R
| producing EPS output, and then using Imagemagick's convert command, which calls
| Ghostscript behind the scenes, to rasterize it.

That's a well-known restriction. I recently saw that Simon Urbanek et al at
the U of Augsburg added a 'gdd' graphics device based on libgd that does away
with the X11 server restriction. Haven't heard of any real tests with
it. I'll probably see Simon (who's now at Bell Labs or whatever they call it
these days) at a conference this weekend so I can ask :)

Hth, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'