Re: source for Hoe.pdf

[ Ccing debian-ruby@. Context: I'm asking Ryan Davis about the source for
Hoe.pdf (shipped in the hoe gem) because ftpmasters rejected my upload ]

On 29/04/11 at 17:46 -0700, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2011, at 23:46 , Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > I am packaging hoe for Debian.
>
> So much for your spectacularly public temper tantrum and threat to leave the ruby community, eh?
>
> > I was wondering if the source for Hoe.pdf was available somewhere -- I
> > couldn't find it.
> >
> > (This is a blocker for Hoe inclusion in Debian, as we require the source
> > to be available also for documentation -- a solution could be to not
> > include Hoe.pdf, but I would prefer not to do that, obviously).
>
> Dogma... so much fucking dogma... Fanaticism is annoying.
>
> Archive:  /tmp/Hoe.oo3.zip
>   Length      Date    Time    Name
> ---------  ---------- -----   ----
>         0  2011-04-30 02:39   Hoe.oo3/
>     14281  2011-01-26 02:05   Hoe.oo3/1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.pdf
>         0  2011-04-30 02:46   __MACOSX/
>         0  2011-04-30 02:46   __MACOSX/Hoe.oo3/
>       468  2011-01-26 02:05   __MACOSX/Hoe.oo3/._1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.pdf
>    139682  2011-04-30 02:39   Hoe.oo3/contents.xml
>       386  2011-04-30 02:39   Hoe.oo3/metadata.xml
>     11462  2009-06-16 10:14   Hoe.oo3/Pasted Graphic.pdf
>       468  2009-06-16 10:14   __MACOSX/Hoe.oo3/._Pasted Graphic.pdf
> ---------                     -------
>    166747                     9 files
>

> Have fun with that.

Dear Ryan,

First, I'd like to say that I really respect all the work you have done
in the Ruby community.

Yes, during the christmas break, I decided to stop doing Ruby packaging.
After announcing it, there was a long discussion, where a lot of people
expressed their support. This made me change my mind, and since then,
I've worked on things that are probably seen as positive changes
even by those who usually only complain about Debian (use of
alternatives to enable switching between Ruby versions ; installation of
gem executables to /usr/local/bin ; new gem2deb tool that makes it very
easy to distribute gems as .deb).

Still, I'm doing that work on a volunteer basis, simply because I enjoy
programming in Ruby. So interacting with people who insult me or
denigrate my work still make me consider stopping that work. I'm
wondering why you are so aggressive and insulting?

In that specific case, providing the source for Hoe.pdf seems like the
right thing to do: it enables others to improve the documentation. Even
if dogma is involved in the Debian position about it, it still seems to
be an understandable position.

To move forward, I would need a public place where I could pull the
Hoe.pdf source. Would you mind putting it in the hoe git repo, and
including it in future gem releases?

- Lucas