Plans for ITK version 4

Hi,

As some of you know ITK, the Insight Toolkit, version 4.0.0 was
released last month [1].  This is a major update from the previous
version 3.20.1, and upstream deliberately broke the API in certain
cases [2].

As such, I think it would be a disservice to our users to force an
abrupt transition by uploading ITK 4 and removing ITK 3.  Instead, I
propose to keep ITK 3.20.1 in Debian and upload a new source package,
insighttoolkit4 (or maybe itk4?).

The existing binary packages already carry the major version
(e.g. libinsightoolkit3-dev) and so can coexist with
libinsightoolkit4-dev and the like in the repository (I haven't made
up my mind about co-installability).

I am in the process of getting a clean build of ITK 4 locally.  I
think I should succeed this week, so I'd appreciate feedback on the
plan before I upload this weekend.

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] http://www.kitware.com/news/home/browse/ITK?2011_12_21&ITK+4.0+is+Now+Available+and+Ready+for+Download!