Re: GMP transition: 4.3.2 to 5.0.1?

On Sun, Feb  6, 2011 at 12:39:23 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that squeeze is out, I'd like to move from GMP 4 to GMP 5.  The
> latter was released upstream about a year ago and the gmp lists
> aren't buzzing with outrageous bugs, so it appears stable enough.
>
> I know GMP is used in gcc itself, so I'd appreciate some guidance
> from the gcc team as well, since this is a major version change.
>
> I uploaded GMP 5 to experimental last year and it builds fine with two
> exceptions: hppa is BD-Uninstallable (?) and ia64 fails to build with
> an ICE.  The underlying cause is already known [1] and from reading
> the bug report I suspect I may be able to work around this by building
> one file with -O2 rather than -O3.  Other suggestions welcome.
>
> Main question: should I go ahead and upload the new version when
> I get a free moment or do we need more investigation?

So this is going pretty badly.  gmp has a *lot* of reverse dependencies.
That means:
- an SONAME bump has a big impact on the rest of the archive
- an SONAME bump is a bad idea
- an SONAME bump without versioned symbols in both the old and new
  libraries is going to end badly
- an SONAME bump without versioned symbols in either the old or new
  library, and without an ack from -release before the upload, is fairly
  harsh on the release team and your fellow developers.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Cheers,
Julien