Re: Tcl/Tk plans for Squeeze

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:23:24PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>
> > Currently we have three different releases of Tcl/Tk: 8.3, 8.4 and 8.5
> > with major differences among them (e.g. 8.3 is not thread-enabled, 8.5
> > has a new theme-enabled Tk, etc.). A new pre-release version 8.6
> > is already in experimental, too.
> >
> > This is a mess we need to reduce.
>
> Very much agreed.
>
> > Dropping 8.3 will require migrating old strict rev-dep packages
> > to the new policy and possibly patching for using a modern Tcl (default
> > or 8.4 at least). Eventually, some packages will be dropped, because too ancient.
> > Let them to go.
>
> What's the status of dropping 8.3 aka what still needs to be done to
> make that happen?
>
> Cheers
>
> Luk

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-tcltk-devel/2010-February/001466.html

One possibility could be movig tcl-defaults to 8.5 and disable threading on 8.4.
Than dropping 8.3. Of course the transition should be more elaborate than that
in order to avoid breakages for many packages, but it could be a basis of
work. We will return with a more complete plans in a few, I hope...

Of course if someone could fix hppa problems with multi-threading it would be great.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine