Re: libjpeg62-dev -> libjpeg-dev transition

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 01:08:12AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 12:04:32AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > There is a new version of libjpeg in the archive (JPEG7), but is it
> > not yet cleared for building packages against it.
> >
> > If your package Build-Depends on libjpeg62-dev, please change to 'libjpeg-dev'
> > (without the 62) to ease the transition.
>
> Err no, please don't.

The fact that some packages Build-Depends on libjpeg62-dev is merely an
historical artefact.

> First I'd like to see packages already build-depending on libjpeg-dev to
> be rebuilt against a libjpeg7 that provides libjpeg-dev.

Actually, I have already done a test-rebuild of all the packages that
build-depends on libjpeg62-dev or libjpeg-dev against a modified libjpeg7-dev
that provide both libjpeg62-dev and libjpeg-dev, and there is only six FTBFS
five of them being just test-suite update, and I send a patch for the sixth
(netpbm) in the BTS.

I can provide you the logs if you want.

> _Only then_ you will open a mass bug on all packages that b-d on
> libjpeg62-dev to ask them to move to libjpeg-dev instead, so that the
> transition remains manageable.

The set of packages build-depending on libjpeg-dev instead of libjpeg62-dev is
pretty random, and the distinction will only bring confusion, with most
packages ending depending on both libraries.

A better plan is to start to rebuild the libraries packages that depend
on libjpeg and then rebuild the other packages against them.

> I'm not sure if we're ready for this transition yet though, I'll let luk
> or other RA/RM check if now is the best moment to do so.

In any case, I do not plan to start this transition just now, there are more
things to check first.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.