Re: libjpegv7 transition

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 03:48:28PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Dear release team,
>
> libjpeg v7 is likely to be released at the end of June.
> A prerelease tarball is available.
>
> This version is ABI-incompatible with libjpeg6b.
> However it should be fully API compatible.
> To avoid symbol conflicts with libjpeg v6, the symbols are versionned.
>
> This means the transition should be relatively safe but will involve
> a lot of packages.
>
> How do you want me to proceed ?

Unless I'm mistaken, those packages only build-depends on libjpeg-dev:
Package: analog
Package: blender
Package: dcraw
Package: exactimage
Package: fbi
Package: ffmpegthumbnailer
Package: fgfs-atlas
Package: freej
Package: fsviewer
Package: ghostscript
Package: gnash
Package: grace
Package: grace6
Package: hasciicam
Package: htmldoc
Package: igstk
Package: inventor
Package: mathgl
Package: nxcomp
Package: openscenegraph
Package: pike7.6
Package: poppler
Package: prima
Package: shoes
Package: ssystem
Package: steghide
Package: tipptrainer
Package: xen-3
Package: xen-unstable
Package: xjig
Package: xnc

Those build-depend on libjpeg62-dev | libjpeg-dev:
Package: csmash
Package: djvulibre
Package: epm
Package: flightgear
Package: iceape
Package: libmng
Package: metapixel
Package: simgear
Package: uvccapture
Package: wine
Package: xmhtml
Package: ygraph

And a vast majority of packages build-depend on libjpeg62-dev (that is
roughly 220 packages if I'm correct).

IOW, I'd say, first you can upload a new libjpeg in a new source
package, that doesn't provide libjpeg-dev for now, so that we can clear
NEW and FTBFS-es and stuff like that.

Then we'll see. It will probably involve a mass-bug on packages
build-depending on libjpeg62-dev who definitely should use libjpeg-dev
instead.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit