Re: please unblock reportbug-ng

Adeodato Simó schrieb:
> + Bastian Venthur (Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:27:58 +0100):
>
>> rng tries to include the output of bugscript automatically into the
>> mail. But if the output is too long to fit in a single mailto URL it
>> recognizes the situation, puts the output in a temporary file and puts a
>> message into the mail pointing to the tempfile and asking the user to
>> attach this file. rng would attach those file automatically if I'd know
>> how to do it. So basically rng provides the output in most cases
>> automatically but in some cases, like xorg, the user has to do a manual
>> step.
>
> I see. Well, putting the output of bugscript in the URL sounds scary.
> Have you investigated about using the xdg-email(1) command, from the
> xdg-utils package? It allows to invoke the configured mailer for the
> user (it has some logic to detect what’s the user’s preferred MUA), and
> it takes options like --body and --attach. Maybe it is better, maybe it
> is not.

Yes, rng already uses xdg-email as default, unfortunately --attach does
not work reliable across the different mailclients, so rng has to use
the mailto-hack until the BTS supports a different method of submitting
bugreports.

> Anyway, I meant to ask: now that reportbug has a graphical interface
> and, particularly, a Python library, what are your plans for rng in the
> future, during this release cycle?

I intend to keep on developing on rng. Keep it bugfree and further
enhance the usability. I plan to implement developer-features like
sending control-messages to rename, reassign bugs etc.

Regarding reportbug. It's nice to see that it finally has a GUI but the
current state of this GUI leaves much room for improvements. So I don't
see a reason to drop rng, if that was your question.

Cheers and happy easter!

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org