freeze exception for tbb [WAS Re: Lenny frozen]

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:04:04PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 04:00:53PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> >> Now, so as not to have everyone contact us at once about packages we
> >> know we won't approve, here are the guidelines for changes that will be
> >> accepted into testing during the freeze:
> >>

> > I uploaded a new version of tbb a little over a week ago, but I am
> > concerned because it is currently in NEW.  It does not meet any of the
> > exception requirements, but it is a new upstream release.  The package
> > is passing through NEW again because with the new upstream release Intel
> > introduced doxygen documentation for the library, which I thought it was
> > best to place into a seperate binary pacakge because of its size.
>
> Right, though it's not as if the freeze came suddenly. As all, but a
> very few, packages in NEW were processed till about a week ago, having
> the package in NEW is a non argument IMHO.

Why?  Lenny froze a little over 24 hours ago?  I uploaded around 11 days
ago.  In fact, had it not been for the new binary package (a
documentation package), then this conversation would not be taking
place.

> > I'd like to request a freeze excpetion based on the following:
> >
> >  - relatively low popcon count (50; few users affected)
> >  - the packages have been tested by the primary users (Athena Captial
> >    Research) without reported issues
> >  - tbb has no r-deps (except for amongst its own binary packages)
> >  - The package has a history of being relatively bug free
>
> You failed to point out what's wrong with the current version in
> unstable/testing...

Well, the current version in unstable/testing has a hacked together (by
me) SONAME implementation.  Additionally, the current version in
unstable/testing does not include documentation.

In the new upstream release, Intel fixed the bug I reported about a
lack of a SONAME (so it is now being managed by the upstream developers
instead of my having to do guesswork) and they also now include
documentation.

Ordinarily the NEW queue is cleared every Saturday (at least that is the
pattern I had been seeing for a while).  Two Saturdays past between the
time I uploaded the package and the time of the Lenny freeze.

> This probably won't be accepted a freeze exception.

Whatever.

I guess that is the reward for trying to do things the right way instead
of gaming the system.

Regards,

-Roberto

--