Re: please push ruby1.9 184.108.40.206-4 to testing
(added Cc on debian-hppa@)
On 17/07/08 at 21:32 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > ruby1.9 FTBFS on hppa (see #478717). The version currently in testing is
> > already missing the hppa build, and there's no plan to solve that on our
> > side. (it requires help from hppa porters).
> Ok, but this presumably means that the hppa version in testing is
> vulnerable to the above bug, which I don't think it's acceptable
> releasing with.
> If ruby1.9 can't be built on hppa anymore, and no porter wants to work
> on it, then, given that ruby1.9 is a development version of Ruby (well,
> the description says that, is this still true?), I'm ok with releasing
> without hppa binaries at all. But this requires work:
Ruby 1.9 is still the development version of Ruby, but it will become
the stable version in december. It's not really cutting-edge stuff
anymore, and works very well everywhere else.
I'm a bit annoyed by this issue: the problem seems to be a kernel
problem, but nobody on the hppa side seems to have the time to work on
it. I got access to Thibault Varene's farm, but when I tried, other hppa
kernel problems were present.
It doesn't seem like hppa is a perfect candidate for a release arch.
There was a discussion about hppa status on -release@ some time ago, but
it doesn't seem to have reached a conclusion.
Is it 100% sure that hppa will be a released arch? If not, I'd prefer to
wait until a decision about hppa is made, before investing time on
dropping the binaries of the other packages (since all the
ruby1.9-depending packages are also building packages for ruby1.8, it's
going to be painful to remove the ruby1.9 binaries).
| Lucas Nussbaum
| email@example.com http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: firstname.lastname@example.org GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |