Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

Luk Claes schrieb:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 12:59:35PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi

>>> I tried to collect the information at http://wiki.debian.org/Rsyslog and
>>> started filing the important bugs [1].
>> Only one bug is open in the usertag list, but most from the wiki are not filed
>> yet.
>
> They also don't *need* to be fixed to change the default, though would be
> nice to fix it the default is changed...

I would only file this bugs iff rsyslog will become the default. So
having a "Yes" or "No" to rsyslog now, would be really helpful to
advance in this matter.

>>> Dunno. We should bring this topic up on debian-release I think to get
>>> more input there. If you want to kick of the discussion, please go ahead.
>> So, hi, debian-release, what is your opinion on this? Do you think we still
>> have the time to do this change for Lenny or is it too late already?
>
> Note that this doesn't have to be a Release Goal at all as there are no
> bugs that need to be fixed except for changing the priorities of 2
> packages... so in theory we can change this (well have it changed in the
> overrides) right before releasing...

Updating the priorities now, would probably help to get wider testing
(e.g. by people testing d-i betas [1]) and shake out any possible bugs.

> There is one nasty regression when switching from sysklogd to rsyslog as
> default system log daemon though: rsyslog doesn't log during upgrade
> (#471051)...

I'll upload fixed rsyslog packages today or tomorrow (which will restart
rsyslog in postinst). So consider this issue fixed.

Cheers,
Michael

(Please keep me CCed, I'm not subscribed to debian-release)

[1] Asssuming that d-i will include rsyslog then instead of sysklogd.
universe are pointed away from Earth?