Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 12:59:35PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 01:20, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > Holger Levsen schrieb:
> > > Did you file those bugs? Is there a usertag for them?
> >
> > I tried to collect the information at http://wiki.debian.org/Rsyslog and
> > started filing the important bugs [1].
>
> Only one bug is open in the usertag list, but most from the wiki are not filed
> yet.

They also don't *need* to be fixed to change the default, though would be
nice to fix it the default is changed...

> > > Or was it already too late for this?
> > Dunno. We should bring this topic up on debian-release I think to get
> > more input there. If you want to kick of the discussion, please go ahead.
>
> So, hi, debian-release, what is your opinion on this? Do you think we still
> have the time to do this change for Lenny or is it too late already?

Note that this doesn't have to be a Release Goal at all as there are no
bugs that need to be fixed except for changing the priorities of 2
packages... so in theory we can change this (well have it changed in the
overrides) right before releasing...

There is one nasty regression when switching from sysklogd to rsyslog as
default system log daemon though: rsyslog doesn't log during upgrade
(#471051)...

I'm Cc-ing the affected maintainers for their input...

Cheers

Luk