Re: Proposed release goal : icon caches

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> I would like to propose the following release goal for lenny: all
> packages shipping icons in /usr/share/icons/$theme should update the
> icon caches accordingly.

> Icon caches help improving performance of the desktop. However, the icon
> cache specification was made without much thought and doesn't cope with
> package managers at all; this is why this wasn't done for etch. We need
> to do it now, however, as many locally-installed applications or
> packages are breaking users' systems by introducing icon caches that are
> never expired.

> The plan is currently as follows:

[...]

I have no objections, but somewhere in that plan should be "open a Policy
bug with the specification of what maintainers should do to update icon
caches" so that we can work through the process of getting this
specification into Policy.  It's eligible for Policy even if it isn't a
release goal, and if it's going to be a release goal, I think it
definitely should be in Policy.

Adding another subsection to Policy 11.8 for packages providing icons
feels like the right placement in the current Policy text.