Re: Please unblock mysql-dfsg-5.0 5.0.32-6 <- ABI problems!

Hello

On 2007-02-17 Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 01:05:48PM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
>
> > Please allow mysql-dfsg-5.0 to be updated from 5.0.32-3 to -6.
>
> > The main issue is probably the one from 5.0.32-4:
> > After the accidental upstream ABI change in libmysqlclient15.so we forgot
> > to raise the minimum required version in the .shlibs file.
>
> If this is the only reason for a freeze exception, then it's a non-issue.
> There is no old version of libmysqlclient15off around anywhere in the
> archive for packages to get built or installed against, so even if the
> shlibs are off, that's not something we need to unblock the package for.
Ah, OK.

> > Now some packages like libdbd-mysql-perl crash with strange error
> > messages as they receive communication packages from MySQL that are
> > slightly longer than they expect and thus overwrites unrelated
> > variables :-(
>
> This, OTOH, sounds like an incompatible ABI break that should have had a
> *package* name change when it happened, not a shlibs bump.
The ABI was broken and then reverted i.e. fixed shortly after. In such cases
no package name changes are needed, or?

> I'm sure it's far too entrenched now to be worth trying to change the
> library name, but we do need info about what packages will need binNMUed.
> Is it just any binaries in the archive, depending on libmysqlclient15off,
> that were uploaded before 5.0.27-1 was available (7 Nov 2006)?
Precisely only the ones built between 5.0.26-1 (Oct 2006) and 5.0.27-1 but
to be sure and if it's automated, better upload everything built before
7 Nov 2006.

> > The changes from Monty Taylor address issues that would probably have
> > caused RC bugs in the future (he's mysql employee and sent patches
> > instead of filing a bug report :))
>
> Um, that's a vague rationale; I'm "probably" not going to make a freeze
> exception for a "probably" RC bug. :)
I ask him if he can give me a scenario where data loss is involved and
then file a bug :) (or tell you if the patch is not that important)

> I need to review this for consideration anyway, because of the my.cnf
> bugfix; so I'll let you know if I think there are any problems.
OK

bye,

-christian-