Re: Would an ABI change of apt for DDTP support still be accepted?

On 10/2/06, Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> wrote:
I value the importance of the DDTP project, but the translating effort
has only recently seriously started. Looking at the statistics[1], I see
that the best language has yet only one third of descriptions translated
in optional and extra, and steeply dropping to only a couple of
percentpoints for those after that.

Not sure which statistics you're looking at, perhaps these? [1]

Sure, maybe the top language has only 33% of optional done, but
several languages cover the entire base install. Additionally, the
numbers are not fixed. As many (most?) descriptions are shared between
etch and sid, even after etch is released the descriptions will keep
getting updated and improved.

Best translated are required/important/standard, but those descriptions
will be the least relevant to Joe Average, since these packages are
already installed for him.

The goal should be making sure that most of the packages people have
installed are translated, as well as the most popular packages. That
is a much more acheivable goal, and I think that's attainable in the
near future...

I hope you're not suggesting we need to get all languages covering all
of optional before you think it is worthwhile?

As for whether it's enough to make it happen for etch, that's not my
call. But the vast majority of descriptions for etch+1 will be usable
for etch also, so the decision should *not* be based on whether the
descriptions are ready now.

Have a nice day,

[1] http://svana.org/kleptog/temp/ddts-stats.html
--