Re: hypothetical bin-NMU versioning question

On 2006-10-02 "Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> wrote:
> I have a hypothetical bin-NMU versioning question (this is asked only
> for my curiosity, so don't give it a high priority).  Suppose that
> package X (version 1.0-1) is bin-NMU'ed on architectures A and B.  At a
> later time it needs to be bin-NMU'ed on architectures B and C.

> Will the  bin-NMUs be numbered incrementally independently on each arch,
> or grouped by round?

That seems to be what happens, yes.

See for example <http://packages.debian.org/gsasl> which was rebuilt after
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2006/07/msg00270.html
|---------------
| gsasl (amd64 and s390 +b1, all archs except s390 need a rebuild.)
|---------------

It was at
0.2.12-1+b1: amd64 s390
0.2.12-1: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mipsel
powerpc sparc
previously and is now
0.2.12-1+b2: amd64
0.2.12-1+b1: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mipsel
powerpc s390 sparc

> That is, will the arch:any binary packages of X on
> arch C get version 1.0-1+b1 or 1.0-1+b2?  (I'm pretty sure that arch A
> will end up with 1.0-1+b1 and arch B with 1.0-1+b2, but correct me if
> that's wrong.)  And does this numbering depend upon whether the reasons
> for the first and second rounds of bin-NMUs are the same or different?

Afaict the numbering is simply increased for each upload.

cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute