Re: Preparing linux-2.6 2.6.18-1

Frederik Schueler wrote:

> Second: this release contains ALL binary firmware blobs shipped
> upstream, even those we kept pruning since the day Herbert Xu removed
> them the first time in 2004.

My apologies for blowing up, although it looks like my flaming message died
in transit.

Anyway, it's neither acceptable or reasonable to regress the freeness status
of linux-2.6 to this extent.

At a minumum, the patch for tg3 exists and is fully
functional: check with ldoolitt@recycle.lb.gov for the version against the
up-to-date kernel, and the corresponding loadable firmware files.  It works
fine on at least the numerous boards which don't need firmware; the previous
version worked on boards which do need firmware, and there's no substantial
change, so I trust the patch.

If the firmware-loading tg3 driver is present in the next kernel package
version, I will believe that the kernel team is acting in good faith to try
to satisfy the Social Contract.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...