Preparing linux-2.6 2.6.18-1

Hello,

Linux 2.6.18 has been released, and it looks like we can do a first
upload today.

First, the migration status and plan looks as follows:

- linux-2.6 2.6.17-9 has already migrated to testing and can be updated
  through t-p-u.

- after linux-latest-2.6 migrates into testing later today, we will upload
  a new linux-latest-2.6 pointing to 2.6.18 to unstable.

- the kernel udebs in unstable are 2.6.17 and need manual intervention
  to migrate.

- it should be ok to remove the linux-2.6.16 packages after we receive
  confirmation that d-i works well with 2.6.17 in testing.

Considering this, an upload of linux-2.6 2.6.18-1 to unstable should not
delay any D-I plans, and we we should be able to proceed.

Second: this release contains ALL binary firmware blobs shipped
upstream, even those we kept pruning since the day Herbert Xu removed
them the first time in 2004.

Initially, we wanted to wait for a positive GR vote outcome before doing
this step, but as every day existing GR proposals are changed and new ones
made, this seems to be going to be delayed indefinitely, which is not
acceptable from a release point of view.

Only the qla2xxx firmwares have been removed upstream and in order to
operate these cards, our users need the firmware deb/udeb from non-free.

Further work in this direction is scheduled for 2.6.19, after Etch has
been released.

Third: we will make at least one other round of NEW, as xen and vserver
patches are currently missing, so there is no need to hurry for ABI
changes or new flavors. We still have enough time to add everything we
want to have at release time.

I know this is pretty short-term, but does anyone need more time to add
urgent changes which should be in the 0-day upload of 2.6.18?

The architectures taking part in the snapshot buildd network (amd64 i386
powerpc s390 sparc) should be in a releasable state, while for the
others, the build system has been changed to not fail if missing options
are not set, but to pick the upstream default - this will hopefully help
in building those architectures, which haven't been updated yet.

If the release and debian-installer teams don't object, we will upload
an unpruned linux-2.6 2.6.18-1 to unstable today.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG