Re: beta status
- To: Sven Luther <email@example.com>
- Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Debian GNU/Linux m68k <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: beta status
- From: "Christian T. Steigies" <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 05:53:53 -0700
- Message-id: <20051104125353.GA20915@merkel.debian.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Sven Luther <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Geert Uytterhoeven <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Debian GNU/Linux m68k <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <20051104110117.GA6052@localhost.localdomain>
- References: <20051030155345.GA9843@kitenet.net> <20051102190807.GA31837@kitenet.net> <20051103231103.GA25744@localhost.localdomain> <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20051104104249.GB5506@localhost.localdomain> <Pine.LNX.email@example.com> <20051104110117.GA6052@localhost.localdomain>
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 12:01:17PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:57:12AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:45:30AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > > > Actually, we could simply make an exception for miboot and get it into the
> > > > > archive, i think it is no worse than other cases (like amiboot, which is
> > > > > linked to parts of amigaos, and thus non-free), and we do distribute those (or
> > > > > at least used to distribute those in the woody times).
> > > >
> > > > Amiboot is not linked to parts of AmigaOS. It is linked to libnix.
> > >
> > > which in turn is not in the archive, so amiboot can never be in anything but
> > It's statically linked (and libnix is public domain, according to Google :-).
> Still not in debian/main, so amiboot needs to go to contrib.
libnix is an AmigaOS library, and is available on aminet, which IIRC predates
Debian by a couple of years. Do you want to ship all free software on aminet
with Debian now, too?
Short: A static library for gcc (V1.1)
Author: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
This is a new release of libnix - a static (link) library for gcc.
Changes from the last release include mostly bug fixes but also
a few new functions. Sources included.
As you see, this is a library for use with gcc, the AmigaOS version, which I assume
is free also, after all it is GNU gcc. gcc, and crossgcc, are available on Aminet
also. So where exactly does amiboot become non-free here? I wouldn't mind if 90% of
the debian archive contained Amiga software, it has been a while that I received
free Aminet CDs, but I guess some other arches might not like that waste of archive