Re: Upload of GNOME 2.8 to unstable

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:51:39AM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> The GNOME team have been talking about what the chances are of having
> GNOME 2.8 uploaded to unstable since it was released upstream early in
> September.

All right, after a good deal of discussion we think you should go ahead
with GNOME 2.8.1, with the following provisos (some of which will be
obvious to you, I guess):

  * Please make sure to get all the libraries through as quickly as
    possible to reduce the impact on the rest of the distribution.
    Upload with urgency=low to start with, but we may be willing to
    speed things up once we see that things are going well. Coordinate
    any necessary hints on #debian-release for speed.

  * Tell us as soon as possible about any partial upgrade implications:
    we must not get into a state where sarge doesn't work due to only
    part of GNOME being promoted when other parts were needed to, as
    happened with GNOME 2.6.

  * Please make sure that any growth in the size of a system installed
    with 'tasksel install desktop' is kept to a minimum, to avoid CD
    problems. If necessary, coordinate with debian-boot and debian-cd.

Much of the reason why we're OKing this at all is that the GNOME team
has demonstrated good reaction times of late; we hope that this
continues. :-)