status of non-US

Hi,

I did some analysis of the packages in non-US. Short summary: Only two
are left over, but both have an interessted maintainer. One of them
could be moved to main, the other is in non-US/non-free, and needs to
stay there.

The only package in non-US/main left over is vtun. I spoke with the
maintainer, and he wants to do a new upload as soon as the new release
of vtun happens. I specifically asked him to upload his package to main
ASAP if this is ok from the package.

The only package in non-free left over is pgp5i; it is orphaned, but
somebody wants to adopt it and has already made packages (quite
recently). See http://bugs.debian.org/237370 for details.

In my personal opinion, it would be a good thing to keep
non-US/non-free; however, it's really questionable whether we need a
full katie setup for this, or should move to something easier like
apt-ftparchive, and make upgrade runs only on request. If wanted, I can
offer some time for this.

Of course, we should also reserve to resurrect non-US/main if the patent
issues get really very silly in US (like the patent on sudo), but that's
just a reserve remark for now.

I appreciate any comments on this.

The full list of packages follows below:

Package: erlang-slang
RoQA, #261981
Package: gutenbook
moved
Package: gutenbrowser
removed, #221361
Package: httperf
one and only upload on Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:32:30 +0200.
Package: libcrypt-des-perl
moved
Package: links-ssl
moved
Package: netsaint-nrpe
-> nagios-nrpe
Package: pavuk
moved
Package: pgpgpg
moved
Package: pipsecd
moved
Package: siege-ssl
-> siege
Package: ssh-askpass
moved
Package: tripwire
moved
Package: tunnelv
last upstream release 1999-08-17, was dead in Debian before compromise
Package: vtun
last upstream release 04.06.2003 - maintainer want to keep package
Package: zmailer-ssl
RoM, #225423, should be merged with zmailer (but maintainer seems to be
MIA/overloaded)

non-free
~~~~~~~~
Package: pgp5i
ITA, #237370
Package: rsaref2
in total 3 uploads, last on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:22:43 +1000

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/