Re: please hint vegastrike into testing

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 02:32:55PM -0400, Mike Furr wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 18:37, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Outdated binaries need to be replaced or removed first, otherwise we
> > would have binaries in testing with no corresponding source.
> Okay, I thought perhaps you could just move in the new version...
> guess not.

> > The bug report about the m68k build failures suggests that it should
> > build better with gcc-3.4, which is now in the archive.  You might
> > consider preparing a package that's configured to use gcc-3.4 as the
> > compiler on m68k, and getting someone to do a test build for you, so
> > that the updated package has a chance of getting into sarge without
> > requiring ftpmaster intervention.
> I would prefer not to do this since the build takes almost 2 days on
> m68k, which is a lot to ask of a m68k builder considering the package
> has no possible reason to be built on that architecture other than to
> find bugs in gcc.

> Is it your opinion that the m68k binaries won't get removed in time for
> sarge?

It's my opinion that strategies that let you fix such problems yourself
are preferable over strategies that depend on the intervention of
centralized groups (i.e., ftpmaster).

I don't know whether that removal request will be acted on before the
freeze, but I would err on the side of caution and assume that it won't.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer