Re: Bug#231538: A possible solution
- To: Andreas Barth <email@example.com>, Herbert Xu <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, GOTO Masanori <email@example.com>, Cesar Eduardo Barros <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Matthias Klose <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Karolina Lindqvist <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#231538: A possible solution
- From: GOTO Masanori <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:31:39 +0900
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20040613202715.GA24619@mails.so.argh.org>
- References: <20040213083547.GE25094@flower.home.cesarb.net> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20040302072531.GA13090@gondor.apana.org.au> <20040613202715.GA24619@mails.so.argh.org>
At Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:27:16 +0200,
Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Herbert Xu (email@example.com) [040302 08:10]:
> > On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:22:30PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > >
> > > > Well newer initrd-tools module-init-tools should be in woody
> > > > in order to upgrade to sarge smoothly.
> > > Is this ok? Herbert? Marco? If not, I reassign this bug to such
> > > packages.
> > initrd-tools does not depend on glibc so the version in sarge/sid
> > should suffice.
> But initrd-tools from sarge wants cramfsprogs (>= 1.1-4), dash; both
> is not part of woody. I'd propose to use it from backports.org (which
> is changed to cramfsprogs (>= 1.1-3), dash|ash; or is there a problem
> with that)?
> Well, and I'd also propose to take the backport from modutils from the
> same source.
> However, the kernel package could be taken out of the pool / from
> @ftpmasters: How should these packages be upload? Just as "byhand",
> and you sort it in? And how is the packages-file generated? In which
> form do you want to have the README-file for that directory?
Please look at the whole discussion of #231538. Joey made a good
#231538 was closed because I introduced a patch for glibc preinst
kernel version check. But as you pointed out, it's true that we need
to create upgrade-i386-80386 for sarge to support smooth upgrade path
for real i386 machine.
The problem is: (1) we're lazy, no one has prepared upgrade-i386-80386
directory, (2) no one has real i386 80386 machine to test that
If you have real i386 machine, could you work for this issue?