Re: Why does gdbm break packages in Sarge?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:02:17AM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=gdbm shows that gdbm
> breaks 1079 packages that are in testing. I checked the changelog for
> gdbm, and I believe the changes were necessary, and were far more than
> cosmetic. Why would so many packages be broken by the new gdbm
> entering Sarge? Are dependencies set to specifically the previous
> version(s) of gdbm?

Almost all of the things you see are spurious, since the gdbm and
gdbm173 source packages need to be pushed in simultaneously; the
apparent breakage is mostly due to the fact that upgrading only gdbm
without gdbm173 breaks the version of perl in testing.

However, a new version of apache2 is needed before gdbm can be upgraded,
because the version of libapr0-dev in testing depends on libgdbmg1-dev
which is now gone, and apache2 needs a new version of openldap2 which is
blocked on several release-critical bugs.

> What's the best way to check since I don't have access to a Debian
> shell?

I haven't a clue how you'd find this out by hand. I know this because I
run the testing maintenance script by hand in a test environment every
so often and try poking certain things.

> I also see that it's a mater of time (and a few dependency decisions)
> before Gnome2 enters testing. Happy days.

I don't think it's quite that simple, unfortunately. Here are my current
notes on just control-center:

control-center:
    * alpha: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, ppxp-applet, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * arm: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * hppa: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * i386: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * ia64: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * m68k: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * mips: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * mipsel: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * powerpc: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * s390: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    * sparc: gnome-pilot, gnome-pilot-conduits, gnome-pim-conduits, xalf, xscreensaver-gnome
    [gnome-pilot: => pilot-link, m68k]
    [gnome-pilot-conduits: => gnome-pilot, => pilot-link]
    [gnome-pim: => pilot-link]
    [pilot-link: => perl => gdbm => openldap2]
    [ppxp-applet: build-deps on removed libpanel-applet-dev]
    [xalf: #183522, removal request #198790]
    [xscreensaver: #171772, #180063, #193581, #195740, m68k]