Am 31.03.2011 07:26, schrieb Reinhard Tartler:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 19:51:17 (CEST), Michael Biebl wrote:
>
>> HAL removal is already in progress, see [1]. Actually I've been working on that
>> for some time already. I wouldn't object obviously making that a release goal.
>
> How well does kFreeBSD cope with HAL gone missing? AFAIUI udev isn't
> available there.

I ran apt-cache rdepends on an up-to-date kfreebsd sid VM.
Attached are the rdeps for libhal1, libhal-storage1 and hal.

As you can see, xserver-xorg still uses hal on kfreebsd, but iirc KiBi did some
work in that regard.

Then there is GNOME/gvfs/gnome-mount using hal on kfreebsd: I don't know if hal
support can be disabled in gvfs for kfreebsd and what consequences that would
have. Most likely stuff like automounting wouldn't work anymore.

Xfce 4.8 (for the most part) doesn't rely on hal anymore, at least on Linux.
Yves-Alexis, what is the fallback on kfreebsd? Does Xfce 4.8 on kfreebsd still
require hal or will it just have reduced functionality?

KDE 4.6 respectively Solid in KDE SC 4.6 will use the newer interface like
upower on Linux.
I don't know what the KDE team plans for the kfreebsd ports. Will Solid still
use hal there?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?
hal