Re: libqca2-plugin-gnupg and license

On Thursday 09 July 2009 21:42:01 Adam Majer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for some toolkit to check PGP or possible other types
> of crypto signatures for my own project (closed source) and I came
> across QCA. While the license of the QCA package is LGPL, some of the
> source code clearly cannot be LGPL.

Plugins are not linking.

> For starters, the package libqca2-plugin-gnupg links with GnuPG.

No. libqca2-plugin-gnupg does not link with gnupg. GnuPG is a command line
tool and you can't link with those.
There is libgpgme, that the plugin uses. libgpgme executes gpg on command line
and parses that output. That's not linking.

> GnuPG
> is licensed under GPL, hence the portion of QCA that links with GnuPG
> must be under GPL compatible license as well.
>
> Is my understanding wrong here?

Yes.

/Sune
 - comaintainer of kde, qt and gpg in debian.

--
Man, do you know how could I do for linking to the mail?

From Explorer you neither can ever cancel the device, nor must doubleclick on
a front-end, this way you cannot boot the tool for debugging the command
prompt.