question about kde handling of usb key insertion

People,

I just inserted my usb key in de usb port. Before I could do anything about it
(like change to root and mount by hand), this generated a brave attempt in
kde to do something with this new drive (Surprised!).

However after having answerd the question about what I wanted to do with the
event (open in konqueror) I got an error popup:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Which to me, as an old time unix user, is quite logical if I have never
inserted anything like it before (so there would not have been any reference
to a /dev/sda1 until now in fstab).

Now that I saw the question popup like it did just before, I suspect that that
this specifiek mount should have succeded. I'm just not sure what I should
change in my Debian or kde install to allow this to happen.

Can somebody give me any advies about what configuration I should change to
allow users to automount this kind of never before mounted drives
automatically in KDE ?

As the question came from kde, I think the configuration is hidden in there
somewhere. But this could also be some other configuration section (after
all, as far as I know, you must still be root to mount anything not in fstab)

Also I suspect the configuration change I should have done does not involve
something like adding all the possible /dev/sda, b, c, d,  1,2,3,4,5,...
to /etc/fstab. Or should It ?

thanks,

Ernest.