Re: A Prisonner of the dependency hell
On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 04:49:14PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> I don't suppose there's a smaller test case involving fewer packages?
After spending a dozen of hour tracking it, I have the obvious headache,
but also the following:
1) debootstrap woody
2) Install the following packages:
konqueror aptitude libqt3 libhtml-tree-perl libapt-pkg-perl libft-perl
3) point apt at sarge.
At this point you are between a rock and a hard place:
You can do
2) aptitude install aptitude, but that remove konqueror and perl
3) aptitude dist-upgrade, but that remove konqueror
As for the culprit, my headache does not allow me to investigate more,
but here some clues: In _woody_,
1) libqt3 has a circular dependency with libqt3-mt.
2) libhtml-tree-perl has a circular dependency with libwww-perl.
Imagine a large red swirl here.