Re: Status of KDE 3.4

Le Jeu 31 Mars 2005 19:52, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> This way around is not guranteed, an application built agains 3.3
> should be able to run on 3.4, of course applications using the 3.4
> API might not work using 3.3

well, the quanta example shows it's not the case.

quanta built against 3.3, running on top of 3.4 is broken.

so if we put kdelibs/base 3.4 in unstable, it means *every* kde apps has
to be rebuilt, because we cannot take the chance. and that would delay
the release really too much. it's not acceptable.

> > OTOH, I'm not sure kde guys would like to help us that much... I
> > fear
>
> Hint: Ian _is_ one of the "kde guys" ;-)

I guessed that, but the thing is, usually, kde guys are quite happy with
bug reports and patch, a bit less happy with soname and symbols
problems report, and completely uninterested/bored/... by license
problems (and frankly, I understand that). but packaging for debian is
not only a matter of building kde and split it into many packages, but
of a lot of other things that we have to deal with.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O