Re: Status of KDE 3.4

On Thursday 31 March 2005 09:51 am, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Le Jeudi 31 Mars 2005 15:36, Ian Reinhart Geiser a écrit :
> > On Wednesday 30 March 2005 12:29 pm, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > > the «problem» is sarge will ship kde 3.3.2, so we don't want to
> > > break all the packages that depends upon kdelibs/kdebase. uploading
> > > kde 3.4 to unstable would mean that any package built on top of
> > > kdelibs should enter sarge through t-p-u ...
> >
> > Is this a point we may want to reconsider, since 3.4 is BC with 3.3?
> > There are some critical flaws in the 3.3 release of KDE network and
> > KDE pim.  One of the more annoying ones is the loss of email or
> > crashing if you delete an email message.  Considering that
> > backporting "fixes" has considerably broken KDE applications, it may
> > be best to try to get an updated version in sooner than later.
>
> I put the list in Cc: again on this one.
>
> the point is you're wrong. kde 3.4 is *not* BC with kde 3.3. the recent
this should be not the case, if there is BIC changes then it must be on
debian's patch sets.  We have a policy of no BIC changes until the 4.0
release.  If this policy was violated we should (have) notified the KDE
development team.  Applications compiled vs 3.1 and greater are suppose to
run without penalty under 3.4.

> problem of libcvsservice (see archives of debian-kde list) shows that,
> and IMHO, it's out of question to put 3.4 in stable.
again was KDE even made aware of this?

> but maybe others in the team may have things to add ?
It might be useful if we get more KDE involvement to help the debian packagers
be more informed of what is going on.  its probably that involvement that has
helped the  kubuntu guys get so far along so quickly.  I know many of them
are directly involved with KDE development, and the KDE organization.

if you guys need any help, resources or information please let me know and we
can see about getting you guys more in the loop.  the real tragedy would be
that debian stable repeats the catastrophe on the desktop that KDE suffered
under woody.  while kubuntu is a neat idea, i personally would like the
reference debian to be something we can brag about too.

Cheers
 -ian reinhart geiser