Re: Status of KDE 3.4

Le Jeudi 31 Mars 2005 17:32, Ian Reinhart Geiser a écrit :
> On Thursday 31 March 2005 09:51 am, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this a point we may want to reconsider, since 3.4 is BC with
> > > 3.3? There are some critical flaws in the 3.3 release of KDE
> > > network and KDE pim.  One of the more annoying ones is the loss
> > > of email or crashing if you delete an email message.  Considering
> > > that backporting "fixes" has considerably broken KDE
> > > applications, it may be best to try to get an updated version in
> > > sooner than later.
> >
> > I put the list in Cc: again on this one.
> >
> > the point is you're wrong. kde 3.4 is *not* BC with kde 3.3. the
> > recent
>
> this should be not the case, if there is BIC changes then it must be
> on debian's patch sets.  We have a policy of no BIC changes until the
> 4.0 release.  If this policy was violated we should (have) notified
> the KDE development team.  Applications compiled vs 3.1 and greater
> are suppose to run without penalty under 3.4.
>
> > problem of libcvsservice (see archives of debian-kde list) shows
> > that, and IMHO, it's out of question to put 3.4 in stable.
>
> again was KDE even made aware of this?

the point is, it's well known that in kde, if a change has to be done in
a library, and that only a few apps use that library, there is a patch
that change the library *and* preventely fix the apps too.

so one version of kde is coherent. but running bits of 3.4 on top of 3.3
libs may break.

the problem was about quanta 3.4 running with libcvsservice 3.3, quanta
crash about 1minute after its launch (independant from what you do with
quanta) with some pthread error.

> > but maybe others in the team may have things to add ?
>
> It might be useful if we get more KDE involvement to help the debian
> packagers be more informed of what is going on.  its probably that
> involvement that has helped the  kubuntu guys get so far along so
> quickly.  I know many of them are directly involved with KDE
> development, and the KDE organization.
>
> if you guys need any help, resources or information please let me
> know and we can see about getting you guys more in the loop.  the
> real tragedy would be that debian stable repeats the catastrophe on
> the desktop that KDE suffered under woody.  while kubuntu is a neat
> idea, i personally would like the reference debian to be something we
> can brag about too.

well, please stop wave the kubuntu flag under our nose, kubuntu guys
worked with our work, so if kubuntu works, kde 3.4 in debian too.

we *won't* put kde 3.4 in stable, because it would delay its release too
much. please recall that debian supports archs that would build kde in
a *veeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy* long time. and that sould afterwards
recompile every single app that uses kde libs, just to be sure. if that
does not delay sarge for at least 2 or 3 more monthes ...

I understand your frustration, but please consider that it's already a
miracle that 3.3.2 will be in sarge. at the beginning only 3.3.1 was
meant to go in.

I think you misplace the problem here. the «problem» with kde 3.4 in
debian is not kde related, but debian related (more precisely sarge
related), period.

OTOH, I'm not sure kde guys would like to help us that much... I fear
quite a lot the reaction when we will have to put every single
handbooks in non-free because it's licensed under GFDL ... (I'm
provocative here, but I think you will really understand my point
without any particular effort ;p)
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O