Artsrec not working ?

Hi people

I was trying to use artsrec to record a wav file, I would appreciate some help
from you.

What I did :

 # artsrec lixo.wav
 CTRL-C to stop recording
 # artsplay lixo.wav

artsd show me the following error :
Audio File Library : ´/root/lixo.wav´ : unrecognized audio file format [error
0]

but if I try to play a wav I recorded by using xwave, arts play it nicely. So
I figured: (1) or artsrec is writing some other format, and is ignoring the
extension of this file (.wav); (2) or artsrec is writing a bad wav file.

So I would like to undestand :
(1) What is the output file format of artsrec ? The man page or artsrec -h
show say it.
(2) Is it a general problem or only my wks problem ? Some else have sucess or
fail in using artsrec ?

Resumé
libarts1 version :1.3.2-2
Sarge Debian in i386