Re: RFS: Need a sponsor for my konversation package

Nathaniel W Turner writes:

> Hi Domi, I'm glad to see konversation getting uploaded!  It looks
> like we've both put some work into packaging this app, and this can
> only be a good thing.

Ack.

> I propose we merge the packages and consider a joint maintainership.
> Even though it's a relatively small package (compared to say, emacs
> or kdebase), it never hurts to have have extra hands and eyeballs,
> and it'd be less likely that we'd both be on vacation, for example.
> =)

Hm, I think this is a bit exaggerated for a small package like
konversation.  And you have also put much more work in your package
already than I have in mine, so I'd really prefer if you'd do it.
That way, I'd also have more time to spend on kdebindings, and some
other projects of mine.  Anyway, thanks for the offer :)

>> * Maybe we could discuss some of the differences between the two
>> packages:

> Yes, let's.  =) Btw, where can I find your source package?  It
> doesn't look like it's hit incoming yet.

Yeah, the ftpmasters still need to approve it.  You can find the
package at:
http://www.wina.be/~domi/konversation

>> + the manpage: I used a manpage as generated with the kdemangen.pl
>> from kdesdk/scripts ( with some manual tuning ), and as such, it
>> documents far more options of the program than yours ( I suppose
>> it's hand-written ).  Not sure which is better though.

> I like your approach here.  Writing my manpage by hand in DocBook
> XML was a fun learning experience, but I have no sentimental
> attachment to it.  =) We should probably use yours.

>> + the rules file: I think you should read
>> /usr/share/kdelibs4-dev/Packaging.txt about some general things to
>> remember when packaging kde apps.  Most importantly, the
>> debianrules and the menu files stuff is pretty important

> I did read this document, and have been meaning to make a .menu file
> for awhile, but keep forgetting.

You can just copy mine then, of course.

> As for debian/rules, the dh-make template in kdelibs4-dev seemed
> outdated to me (it uses DH_COMPAT=3, for example),

True, we're working on that in another thread :)

> and AFAICT, the kde.mk class in cdbs contains more up-to-date
> best-packaging-practices.

Oh, I see, I didn't notice that you were using CDBS...  Never mind
then :)

>> domi ( who goes to file an ITP bug on kdebindings immediately... )

> Oh, nice.  I can't wait to test this out -- I've been missing this
> for a while.  Let me know if you want a place to host test packages
> or subversion access or anything like that.

No, thanks, I have access to some good servers, so I'll be fine :)
Thanks for the offer though.

cheers
domi