Ugly fonts and images with Konstruct/KDE 3.2.1

Hey all,

It's unbelievable how many places and mailboxes I already have polluted
with my question, but I'm getting quite desperate, and nobody seems to
be able to help me further (that includes qt-interest@trolltech.com,
be.comp.os.linux, comp.windows.x.kde, and binner@kde.org).

I installed KDE 3.2.1 using Konstruct. It sits in /opt/kde3.2.1 and I
can use it just fine. The only problem is its rendering of both images
and fonts, as visible here:

http://tom.verbreyt.be/tmp/snapshot1.png
http://tom.verbreyt.be/tmp/snapshot2.png

As the second shot shows, it's not only fonts that get, ehm, "crumbled",
so I guess it can't be Xft related.

I just used the gdm entry script of that in the official Debian
ksmserver package (exec /etc/X11/Xsession /opt/kde3.2.1/bin/startkde),
and added the environment variables mentioned in Konstructs README above
that line (QTDIR, KDEDIR, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, all properly
mentioning /opt/kde3.2.1).

Following tips from binner@kde.org, Konstructs maintainer, I concluded
that Xrender was properly compiled in. Another tip I got was on Usenet.
Someone in comp.windows.x.kde told me to try setting the default font to
some TTF, rather than what obviously was chosen as the default
(helvetica). At that point, I noticed that *none* of my truetype fonts
are available within Konstruct! I'm happily using them in Gnome right
now, so that shouldn't be happening.

That's the only clue I have. I guess there is a problem with the
Xserver, but I can't think of any reason for that. Previously, I have
been using Konstruct/KDE 3.2.1 installed in my own home directory, and
none of this happened. I figure something must go wrong when I try to
have it installed and usable for all users, by putting it in /opt.

Would anyone be able to give me further clues, tips or hints? I'm really
out of those.