Re: proposal: upload to the collab-maint repo orphaned packages

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 07:12:50PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> The typical QA scenario is "apt-get source", hack, debuild, dput.
> Precisely because the usual QA worker doesn't care enough about the
> package, it's a one-shot work. So the reference is the archive itself and
> the SVN in the middle is of very few help.
>
> I already proposed what your describe 2 years ago at the QA meeting (with
> adn and sukria):
> Slide:
> http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2005/qa-meeting-darmstadt/slides/2005-09-11_Collaborative-maintenance-by-external-contributors_Alexis-Sukrieh+Raphael-Hertzog+Mohammed-Adnene-Trojette/collab-maint.pdf

For the moment I've only had the time to read the slide, I'll postpone
the .ogg. But indeed my proposal is exactly the same as yours ... and
actually your slides contradict what you're claiming above. I guess
that's because the discussion after the talk made you change your mind,
right?

Anyhow, before following the past live discussion I'm still convinced
it's a good idea for precisely the reasons you mentioned (playground for
contributors, ability to commit for non-DDs, VCS support [e.g.
history]) and also for others like the ability to easily work in a batch
manner on a set of orphaned packages.

I'll come back to this after having watched the discussion.

> I'd rather not pollute the collab-maint repo too much with old crap. If we
> really want this, we can have a dedicated qa-packages repository.

Regarding this. It seems to me that the 2 subdirs in collab-maint
orphaned/ and ext-maint/ actually contain packages, so I deduce that the
idea is being used in practice. Or is it just old stuff no longer used
nor encouraged? Can I check in there orphaned packages I want to work on
or is this discouraged?

> Using a SCM is not easing our QA work because precisely there's very few
> coordination to do... I don't remember any conflict of work on orphaned
> packages.

See the comment above, a VCS can do a lot more for us than simply
helping with coordination.

Cheers.