Re: proposal: upload to the collab-maint repo orphaned packages

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 04:45:51PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> It's in my opinion not a good idea to promote orphaned packages. If an
> orphaned package is worth keeping, it should find a maintainer easily. Else
> it should be marked for removal, not added to the collab-maint svn
> repository IMHO.

Agreed.

But ... it happened to me in the past that I was willing to fix a couple
of bugs in an orphaned package but not to take over its maintenance. I
guess it's a pretty common scenario. In those cases having it already in
collab-maint would have eased my work. What's harmful in that?

Besides, the proposal is not against your proposed course of actions:
- if we find a maintainer she will have already the package in a
  repository, it would be enough to change the Maintainer name in
  debian/control and start working
- if we don't, we can request the package removal, in such a case would
  it be a big deal to have package sources left over in collab-maint? I
  don't think so

> What you propose is more or less adoption of all orphaned packages by
> everyone and no one in particular... My view on orphaned packages is not

Well, no. I'm just proposing a technical solution to ease working on
orphaned packages, I'm not affecting (or at least it's not my intention,
nor the foreseeable future I imagine) in any way how long a package
would remain in the orphaned status, not what are the consequences of
being in that status.

Cheers.