Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On So, 2005-12-18 at 17:19 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> following the last discussion at the Debian-QA meeting on Darmstadt, it
> appears that the proposal called "Collaborative maintenance" is of generic
> interest :
> - for Debian sponsors and Debian mentors
> - for QA which may use the infrastructure for orphaned packages
> - for Ubuntu's MOTU School
>
> I tried to describe the big lines of the project in this wiki page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/CollaborativeMaintenance

I very welcome your ideas. I think they have definitively the potential
to improve the quality of both debian and ubuntu.

> I'm crossposting this to all people involved (even people responsible of
> the REVU tool used by Ubuntu) because I'm sure that we should all work
> together to realize this project.

Thank you for your invitation, I'm very interested in making this
project a success. I think it is rather long term, though.

> This infrastructure is seriously needed in Debian because:
> - team maintenance with SVN is more and more popular, and a good web
>   interface above a SVN repo of Debian packages would help all those
>   teams
> - an official way to follow interaction between mentors and sponsors is
>   needed and actual mentors.debian.net/sponsors.debian.net are not enough
>   for that
> - we need to facilitate the work of sponsors because we're lacking
>   sponsors
> - we need to let skilled external contributors maintain packages for us
>   (when they don't want to become DD)

on your wiki page, you mention explicitly getting packages from MOTUs,
potential MOTUs and completely newcomers into debian. I really
appreciate that.

I agree that such an infrastructure is needed. People have already
pointed out in this thread, that launchpad is supposed to address some
of the points you mentioned in your email and on the wiki page. I'd like
to comment on this, too: Launchpad is all about collaboration, yes, so
it is an interesting tool for this project. Still, I don't think
launchpad is the answer for the complete project scope. You are talking
about "collaborative maintenance", this means several persons working on
a specific debian source package. I'm not sure in what scope HCT will be
able to address this, since it also defines a bit different workflow.

Since VCS seem to be quite political, and there are a lot of opinions
about that topic. I agree that a VCS is very useful to track changes.
You want to use it for being able to track the contributions of a
submitter. I agree that this feature is very useful to ubuntu as well,
since we would this information for approving MOTU candidates.

Therefore I don't want anyone to force a specific tool. Therefore I'd
suggest that SVN should not be the only interface for submitting
packages. svn-buildpackage is a really nice tool, I like it very much.
But I also accept that some people refuse to use SVN, as well that some
people refuse using launchpad and HCT because of political reasons.
Therefore I'd rather using svn as 'backend', where all Meta information
is used. But I'd really appreciate it, if there were alternative
interfaces to submit contributions.

I could imagine having an bidirectional svn <-> bzr gateway, so that bzr
users can submitt via this tool as well. (as far as I heard hct will use
bzr under the hoods as well, so perhaps this way we could gain hct as
additional interface). An obvious simple interface would be raw source
packages, uploaded by dput or other means. This is the only interface
REVU currently provides.

> The very same reasoning applies even more to Ubuntu where packages do not
> have an official maintainer. Changes on packages have to be monitored to
> know if a package needs to be uploaded. Also they have the same
> problematic of "sponsoring" with their "MOTU school".

Not only to MOTUs. I think the scope can easily extended to quite every
group maintained package or set of packages. I see no reason not to
accept external help.

> Furthermore, if we can standardize this infrastructure between
> Debian/Ubuntu, it will be easier to integrate packages created by Ubuntu
> MOTU in Debian (I'm speaking of packages which don't exist in Debian yet).

I could imagine that the utnubu team will be interested in using such an
infrastructure to invite newcomers getting their packages into debian
and eventually into ubuntu as well. Therefore I added utnubu-discuss to
CC: list as well.

--
Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de>