Re: Task: check packages not installed by anyone

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 21:19 +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> The following is from an IRC conversation I had with Petter
> Reinholdtsen a few months ago.  The idea was to go through the
> popularity contest output and check packages which aren't installed by
> any or only by few people:
>
> 22:39 <pere> check out popcon, and look at the packages which aren't
>              installed on any host.
> 22:40 <pere> it was ~500 packages when I checked a few days ago.
> 22:40 <tbm> 500, wow
> 22:40 <pere> out of ~1500
> 22:40 <pere> s/1500/15000/
> 22:40 <tbm> where is that list?
> 22:40 <pere> http://popcon.debian.org/main/by_inst
>
> Maybe someone has some time to do this.

I think it should spends a considerable period to record them. Maybe 30
random days in 3-4 months? Then gives people a blacklist of packages
which less popular and attached with their maintainers' opinion, as they
may know their packages better. Finally, it is time for developers and
users to discuss whether remove them or not.

Can this popularity contest show packages have been installed through
Debian's mirrors? In addition, tracking down installed rate only from
local mirrors when involves some l10n and i18n packages, because there
maybe not many people using Debian. Otherwise, some of very useful
packages may be in the blacklist.

Cai Qian