Re: starting to dive into python package bugs

On 16 July 2013 22:25, Stéphane Blondon <stephane.blondon@gmail.com> wrote:
> I checked the string exceptions in the code and they are not catched
> (see shell commands used at this end of this message).
> So I plan to wrap the string with an exception (Exception ou
> TypeError). To me, the errors raised are not TypeError so it's not the
> appropriate exception but if someone catched TypeError in another
> software (outside Debian) it will work. It would not work with
> Exception class. However, I still prefer raising Exception. Does
> anyone have an opinion about that point?

Finally, I used BaseException. I added a patch to the bug report (#585291):

I would be inclined *not* to use BaseException for this - the intention is that 'except Exception:' should catch all normal exceptions, and only KeyboardInterrupt and SystemExit are outside that. I don't know the specifics of the string exceptions you're updating, but almost anything that Python code explicitly raises should inherit from Exception.

Thomas