Experimental Python 2.1 packages, release plans

Gregor Hoffleit writes:
 > I have uploaded experimental Python 2.1 packages. Grab them at
 >
 >     http://people.debian.org/~flight/python2/

thanks!

 > Now the problems start if neither 2.0.1 nor 2.1.1 would be ready in time. If
 > it's obious early that the won't be ready in time, we could start to migrate
 > the python2 packages to Python 2.1.

IMO there would be no problem in uploading the current CVS version of the
2.1 branch. The maintainance release isn't supposed to break anything
and if upstream could be convinced to check in the LICENSE from the
HEAD branch to the release21-maint branch before the freeze ...

 > Python 1.5.2 would be re-packaged as python1.5, and the then-GPL-compliant
 > would be packaged under the name python. As a consequence, nearly all Python
 > packages would have to be re-packaged. The goal should be to provide a
 > smooth migration from potato to woody.

 > Anyway, while I'm away, perhaps someone could start to audit the packages
 > that depend on Python, and file bugs for all packages that don't have a
 > correct, explicit versioned dependency on python-base like
 >
 >   Depends: python-base (>= 1.5), python-base (<< 1.6)

Thats double work if you want to replace python-foo with python1.5-foo
anyway.