Newcomer experience and contributor behavior in Debian and other FOSS communities – Survey

Hi everyone,

If you have joined the Debian community within the last 3 years, I would like to invite you to complete an online survey. The purpose of the research is to work out how newcomers in Debian and other FOSS communities become valued sustainable contributors. I am interested in hearing from people who are either technical or non-technical contributors, and who have had either positive or negative newcomer experiences.

The survey is available at: https://limesurvey.sim.vuw.ac.nz/index.php?sid=65151&lang=en

Stefano Zacchiroli (Zack) and Enrico Zini are fully supportive and are helping to promote the survey to Debian contributors.

This survey is anonymous, and no information that would identify you is being collected. The collected data will be released under a 'share-alike' Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL) ensuring that the dataset can be shared (copied, used, and distributed to others), used to produce derived works, or adapted. You will not be able to withdraw data once you submitted the survey, but it will be possible to withdraw anytime while completing the survey by simply closing the web browser.

I expect the survey to take around 20 minutes of your time.

If you know members of the Debian community who you think would be interested in completing it, please do not hesitate to let them know about this research.

I will post news about my progress with this research, and the results on my blog: http://kevincarillo.org.

Thanks!

Kevin Carillo

School of Information Management